Philippines is in rainy season from June to September and what better way to keep us warm and feed our hungry tummy than our favorite rainy day comfort food? 😉
Listed below are my five favorite dishes that my family orders or prepares on rainy days:
1. Arroz Caldo — a rice porridge and is best with chicken. When my sister cooks this dish she would put a lot of ginger to spice it up and would also put one chili pepper. Yummy!
2. Nilagang Baka — or “Boiled Beef Soup”. One of my favorite dishes of all time. It’s a delicious stew of beef with vegetables and spices, and is best served steaming hot. Perfect on a rainy day indeed!
3. Sinigang na Hipon (Shrimp) — A sour soup dish associated with real tamarind or readily bought powdered tamarind sinigang mix. Sinigang has a lot of variations but with shrimp is my favorite.
4. Champorado — sweet chocolate rice, like a porridge too. I love it with condensed milk – the sweeter, the better. 😉
5. Tinola — a ginger and onion based soup with chicken as the main ingredient. One of my ultimate favorite food too because I love the vegetables used in this dish especially the chili pepper leaves.
Give them a try! 😉 I linked the recipes to their names from other websites and you could also see from there what the dishes looks like.